Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I've Begun To Find My Identity

Today, I did something I've never done before. It was mega interesting, and I hope to have opportunities to do it again in the future.

I went to my friend Hannah's house and as soon as I got there, she said "Hey, we're going to youth group." My first thought was immediately Ughhhhh, tonight is going to suck. I don't ever feel comfortable in religious situations with kids my age. I feel like there are always eyes on my back, judging me, a person they don't even know. Later on in the day, Hannah's family friend (named Tornado, strangely enough) picked us up and surprised us with the fact that we weren't going to hang with teens, but young adults who lived in the suburbs. Great, I thought. Even worse.

When we got there, it was initially awkward, so we all ate (superb food, might I add) and began to break the ice. Hannah and I met a girl who was an EMT and was going back to Texas State University next fall (woot, Bobcats!), a man that was going to become a math teacher (and was into The Devil Wears Prada, The Maine, Hit The Lights, and The Word Alive), and so many more interesting people. I got less and less awkward as the evening went on.

After we ate, there was a bit of a church service. We all sat in a circle in the Pinterest look-alike living room as a couple in the group read from Matthew 4:1-11. We all discussed the time Satan himself tempted Jesus Christ. It's a story we've all heard a thousand times, but the way this group of people broke it down helped me to identify with my savior in a way I could have never imagined possible. Like suddenly, Jesus was like me, not just the Christ. 

From my understanding, Satan challenged Jesus's identity three times. Once he said to turn rocks into loaves of bread (to prove yourself through ability). Secondly, he said to throw himself off the temple in Jerusalem, where the entire population was watching (to prove your worth through how people see you). Thirdly, he told Jesus to bow down and worship him to acquire multiple kingdoms and riches (to prove your worth through belongings and wordly goods.) I realized, these are things I'm faced with every day!

I realized my Lord wasn't that much different from me, and I could truly identify with Christ in that moment. I had found my identity IN Christ. It was a powerful moment for me, and I was glad to have shared it with such a diverse group of people (that weren't the judgemental people I feared). I was glad to have experienced a sense of brotherhood and fellowship and community with these complete strangers, and to have learned something all because of a common belief!

I had the best day,
Cayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment