Saturday, July 20, 2013

Baby Calves and Man-Babes: The Taylor Rodeo

Remember how I said I enjoyed doing normal Texan things once I kind of understood the culture? Well that's just what I did tonight. I went to my first rodeo and saw a great band.

Let me start out by saying: Rodeos are stupid. It's just a bunch of men riding pissed of stallions and roping baby calves and hoping they can hold onto a bull without getting thrown off and stomped on. I can't fathom why someone would want to endanger their lives solely for the sake of entertainment. But on the other hand, rodeos are pretty macho, and I don't care what kind of a woman you are, macho is universally attractive. I saw quite a few cute cowboys, not to mention, country men seem to age well (I think I have a new "type"). All of my fleeting teenage hormones aside, seeing those men perform their acts terrified me and I was praying for each and every man that bucked out of those gates.

Secondly, I LOVE country music. There's something about it that just makes me smile every time I hear it (especially when George Strait sings, who was coincidentally a rodeo act) and I love seeing bands play it live. Given that, I was pretty stoked that there was a live band playing and a dance after the rodeo. Okay, guys, they were amazing. The singer's name was Clayton Gardner (man-dime) and his band brought the house down (or the sky, because we were outside). They even played Amarillo By Morning by George Strait, to which I two-stepped with my best friend, Jenni. I'm a terrible dancer (because I'm awkward at everything else, so why not just add one more thing to the list?) and every time I'd get a bit of rhythm going, Jennifer's golden curtain of hair would shroud her face and we'd lose our rhythm again. Nevertheless, it was a blast!

After the gig, we met the lead singer by the merch table and he signed my CD (what the heck, he was good live) and we had a good ol' conversation. When we were done talking, Jenni and I got photos with him and when we asked him to take another, he said "I don't mind at all, you ladies look good tonight." The stud of a man was holding a Lone Star beer in his hand, and given that, was to old for me. But, he was a gentleman and I felt pretty damned good tonight, so I'll take the compliment. :)

Usually, I inclide a gist or a lesson of sorts every time I write one of these, but here I am just babbling away about macho bull riding and the super stud Clayton Gardner. So, here it is: I had a great at the rodeo and the dance. Not sufficient? Well, no one asked me to dance again tonight, just like last Thursday at Coupland Dance Hall. The difference being, tonight, I didn't care. I realized (a little late, I know) that I don't need some fickle-minded teenage boy to get up the courage to ask me to dance. (I guess it can be kind of nerve racking, not to mention everyone with eyes has seen I'm a terrible two-stepper.) I had so much fun at my first rodeo! I'm looking back and there isn't a thing I would have changed about tonight, at all.

Learning as I go along,
Cayla xx

P.S. When he signed my CD, he wrote some weird three digit number on it and I am STILL trying to figure out what it means...

P.P.S. Here's a link to Clayton Gardner's website if you're into country music. They're pretty rad, and they kill it (in a good way) live.

http://www.claytongardner.com/fr_home.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment