Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Back In Black, And Don't You Know I'm Glad To Be Back?

Long time, no blog, huh? I'm going to be completely honest in saying, I have missed blogging and the feedback and feeling a real connection with my readers. I'm really glad to have to opportunity to continue blogging and for people to keep reading this silly ol' thing. That being said, a lot has happened during my absence, and I'm sure I'll be very scatterbrained trying to update you all. (I'm pretty out of practice, so who knows where this bad boy will go?) Let's get this ball rolling.

During my absence, I spent a large amount of my time at one of my best friend's houses, and it truly made for an unforgettable time. I've been going to this friend's house for a year and a half, and I'd give it all back for the past week I've spent there.

Before I spent an entire week at this house, they were just my friend's family. The temperamental father, the super straight-laced mother, the player of an older brother, the ditzy middle child, and the annoying five year old. The thing is, I realized (and this one's pretty obvious, so forgive me) that the more time you spend around someone, the better you get to know them. When you spend time with someone, they become less of your impression of them and more of a character that plays a part in your life. You realize these people have depth. They have demons. They have their dreams and their plight.

I stayed up talking all night with the player of an older brother and discovered he actually wants wants to "do things right", get married, start a family, and have a son. I found out he isn't as apathetic to his family's dysfunction as I perceived. I discovered he's a real person with real emotions.

I spent the day hanging with the ditzy sister and realized she's incredibly emotionally deep and loves her older brother and daddy more than anything. I discovered all she wants is her family's happiness and a little bit of clarity. I discovered she wants someone to listen to her and provide some insight and guidance for her.

I sat and talked with the angry dad all day, and it was brought to my attention that he is doing his best to keep his life on track, keep his family affairs in order, and learn how to give his problems to God. I learned that his life made him a hard man, and that he was finally learning how to be softer and emotionally vulnerable.

The straight-laced mother is the epitome of the term "bible-thumper," and really is straight-laced. On the other hand, it's all she knows. It's how she was raised, it's what she knows is right, and it's what she wants her children to know. She wants things to be whole and right (and a little bit holy), and I really understand that.

(Let's not even bother with the five year old. She's still the annoying five year old, but she's a cutie.) For the past few weeks, this family has been all that I've thought about, and all that I've prayed for. To add to the list of realizations I've had lately, I realized that they're the object of my thoughts and prayers for one reason only. They all have a part to play in this preachy drama I like to call my life.

They've lost their roles as extras and have blown into full on, fully animated characters in my life. (Is that a metaphor?)  Whatever parts they play, I am positive it'll turn out beautifully.

Was this alright for a second "first blog post"?
Cayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment