Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Smaller Goal For Senior Year

So, guys. Today, I left my house with the intention of hanging out at my best friend, Jenni's house. We were going to veg out, watch Supernatural, and show each other new songs. The usual. Before we stopped by her house, we made one quick pitstop to the school to fix my schedule (I ended up having to give up my first off period so I could do yearbook. You're welcome, Mrs. Strnad). While we were sitting in the counselor's office, the home ec teacher stopped in and asked us to help her daughter organize the kitchen in her classroom and we accepted (I was guilted into it.) And so it began.

I spent a long while going through spices to make sure they were still good and accidentally dyeing my hands with leaky red food coloring. The other girls moved tables and stored dishes into cabinets. (We even rolled around on the dolleys a bit.) It was good to be able to see Sarah and Grace (I've missed them a bunch in the last few weeks) and catch up a little bit before the stresses of senior year started up. (Whoop whoop, I'm gonna be a senior!) We all hung out and organized for a bit, and then one of my classmates, Wyatt, comes into the room and asks us if we can help him change out the letters on the marquee.

Okay, let me share something that anyone from down south knows. You do NOT want to be out in the sun during any of the summer months in Texas. We're actually just now getting back below 100°F during the day. Working to get the letters onto that sign was hard work, and we all went back inside sweaty and gross. Much to my relief, Wyatt was super cool and kept us laughing by saying things like "Guys. The reason these jeans are so tight is because I've had them since I was like, thirteen" and his comments about how ghetto it was that we had to use upside down fives as twos so we could finish the sign. (He was even so nice as to thank us a thousand times for coming out to help him and making his job a little easier.)

Truthfully, my favorite part of the day was hanging up those letters in the ungodly heat with Jenni, Sarah, and Wyatt.  Wyatt and I have never been close friends or really even acknowledged one another until the last few months of school last year. I have always had a really hard time coming out of my shell, but once I found my niche in high school (even though it is a little more silent and standoffish than I'd like), I found that Wyatt accepted me anyway. He doesn't mind talking to me even though I'm not like his other friends, and that actually means a whole heck of a lot to me.

So this year, I'm going to be more outgoing. Not to say that I don't already talk to people, or have friends, or that I'm not myself at school, but maybe I'll find a few more cool kids like Wyatt and Sarah and Jenni. Kids that can see past what most teenagers can't, and can see what a gem of a person you may be. I want to leave this one horse town on a good note. Besides, it's my senior year, and I may as well go out with a bang. *insert Smiley face*

Was this one too teenagery? I am in high school.
Cayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment