Monday, August 26, 2013

Set Your Goals Acoustics, Lunch Tables, and Crack Coffee: The First Day Of Senior Year

Guys. First off, I just spent about an hour downloading Paramore acoustics that I didn't know existed. I even managed to find one by Set Your Goals, and I know I'm gonna love it. They just can't make bad songs.

On another note, today was the first day of my last year in high school. It's early on to say this, but it's pretty bittersweet. I'm excited to be graduating, but skipping town is going to be hard to do. I feel like a lot of us felt that way today. I do, however, think today set the tone for my year, and it's going to be a good one.

When I got to school, I got there with a cup of coffee, like I always do. Much to my surprise, Mrs. Strnad (I gave up my off period for her yearbook) told me I had to drink it before I got into the classroom. (I used to drink coffee in yearbook all the time last year.) Anyway, I ended up finishing the coffee in three painful gulps, and got an instant stomachache and the shakes. ("I know what Cayla did this summer!" Crack. Get it? Crack? Because I was shaking? Okay, nevermind.) I got into the class and saw Eli, one of my best friends. I hadn't seen him all summer and I'd forgotten how much I missed him. We sat next to each other, and I spent the whole time cracking jokes and making him laugh. I couldn't help but think "It's good to be back" during the entire duration of the class.

I met my new history teacher, and he's super laid back. He was calm the entire class, and spent the first day talking about himself and getting to know us a bit. I found out he's an Aries (it wouldn't be a day if it didn't involve astrology.) He was a cool dude, and I'm pretty sure I won't have any trouble with him or his class. (Not to say I'm over Coach Fowler leaving right before my senior year, because I'm not. I wish she was teaching me again this year. Also, isn't it funny how one Aries teacher is replaced by another Aries. Yeah, he'll fit in nicely.)

Pre-AP Pre-Calculus was difficult, just as I thought it would be, and Mr. Van Gendht tried to teach us on the first day, just as I thought he would. He actually said he was retiring this winter, and I was disappointed. His classes have been the greatest academic obstacle in my high school career, but I'll definitely miss my adorable, elderly Dutch math teacher.

And then there was Mr. George. Ahhhh, Mr. George. He is my new Anatomy and Physiology instructor. Dude, this guy is serious about some science (and not in the fun way like Coach Holland or Mr. Burgard). He actually typed up our entire year's vocabulary, and mapped out the entire school year's lesson plan (with start and finish dates) to give to us today. He told us we'd have to study super hard to pass, and we'd have to spend two to three hours a week outside of his class studying or else we wouldn't do well. It's almost like college, and I'm thankful for the preparation. BUT, I do have a small case of senioritis, and a part of me wants to blow him off. I know I won't, because I want to do well this year, but I can't help but think this class would be enjoyable if Mr. Burgard were teaching it.

At lunch, we sat at our table from last year, and half of my friends said they wanted to move. At my school, seniors generally sit closer to the stage, and we're sitting pretty far away from it again this year. The other seniors assumed their positions, and some of my friends wanted to tag along. Half of us wanted to stay. (Okay, what's the point of following a tradition if it makes me uncomfortable? I want to sit with my friends, not with all of my classmates. I don't know a lot of them, and I don't see myself getting to know too many of them. I was comfortable in my spot today.) It actually became an argument. It's not a huge deal to me, so we all said we'd try to sit there tomorrow. It's times like these that I don't enjoy having extremely social friends.

And, finally, I got out of school and hung out a bit with Eli. We had a talk with our classmate, Garrett, and I realized today that I completely misjudged him. He's actually a cool dude and I hope we can be friends this year. Eli and I had a good talk, and I missed hanging out with him all over again. It's a great thing I have such great friends and good people in my life. I'm thankful.

It's gonna be a good year for all of us. It's going to be what we make it, and I don't plan to mess it up. Cayla xx

No comments:

Post a Comment